Ignoring it won’t make it go away: winter is coming. All you can do is get ready for when the cold weather hits. There are a variety of things on your to-do list, depending on your home and your family. But one thing everyone needs to do is make sure they’re ready to turn on the heat.
How will your heater do when you need to use it? Is it ready, clean, lubricated, and in tip-top condition? Only if you’ve gotten maintenance!
When Maintenance Should Be Performed
Most people have heating maintenance performed in the fall, ideally scheduling it for before they’ll need to turn the heat on for the first time. But the exact season isn’t critical. What matters the most is making sure to have it done evert year.
What Happens During Heating Maintenance
Your technician will make sure every component of your heater is in excellent condition. This will involve carefully cleaning and inspecting each part, lubricating moving parts, making adjustments to anything misaligned, checking the thermostat for accuracy, and testing electrical components, gas lines, ignition systems, and more for safety.
The Benefits of Heating Maintenance
While the chief benefit in the short-term of having heating maintenance performed right now is peace of mind—knowing for sure that your heater will work when you need it to—there are many long-term benefits.
- Decreased Repair Needs: It’s estimated that 85% of the repairs you might otherwise need in the coming year can be eliminated by having maintenance done. This is partly due to cutting down on system strain by eliminating the friction of dust, grit, and lack of lubrication. Maintenance is also an opportunity to catch tiny concerns before they develop into big problems that require heating repair in Cumming, GA.
- System Longevity: Having your heater maintained every single year will help to maximize the lifetime of the system, whereas neglecting maintenance can cut system life dramatically. All that wear and tear can really add up, causing you to need a new heater much sooner.
- Effectiveness: Regular heating maintenance helps to promote airflow, eliminate cold spots or major temperature fluctuations, and keep you and your family more comfortable.
- Efficiency: A heating system’s efficiency drops by about 5% each year due to dusty buildup, lack of lubrication, and other wear and tear. Maintenance will bring that efficiency back up so your utility bills won’t increase. Lack of maintenance will cause that efficiency to drop more and more with each passing year.
- Warranty Compliance: Without maintenance, you may void your warranty, which will prevent you from reaping its benefits, such as having the manufacturer cover the cost of replacing a faulty component.
The Professional Touch
Heating maintenance is not something you can or should do on your own. A qualified professional knows exactly what to do and what to look for. Training, licensing, and insurance are critical to the handling of potentially dangerous components such as electrical wiring and natural gas lines.
The one thing you should do yourself is changing the air filter. Do this every month during the heating season, or every three months during times when the heat is used occasionally. If you need some guidance about how to do that, or you’re ready to schedule heating maintenance, we’re here to help.
To speak with a member of our team, contact DC Cheek Heating, Cooling & Plumbing today. Fixed, At the Speed of Life!