Today’s homes are built with efficiency in mind!
What does that mean, exactly? Well, it means that modern homes are sealed up tightly, not letting any heat out in the winter and not letting any heat in during the summer. Sounds like a good deal, right? It is a great deal, so long as your home is newer and doesn’t have any home performance problems.
Aging homes may be losing their air sealing in areas, and therefore causing heat transfer where there shouldn’t be. This means that your air conditioner may not be able to cool your home as efficiently as possible, and the same goes for your furnace or other heating system heating you in the winter.
The good news is, there’s something you can do about it—invest in professional air sealing services!
What Is Air Sealing and How Do I Know If I Need It?
We’re glad you asked. When you picture air sealing services, you might envision someone going through your home and patching up every single little nook and cranny. This isn’t what’s going to happen, though.
Different air sealing opportunities call for different solutions. You’re in good hands with our team though! We provide extensive home energy audits to determine exactly what’s going on in your living space, to see what you need in terms of air sealing. It may be as simple as some caulking around a couple drafty windows, or might require something more. But how do you know if you need air sealing services?
- Your Energy Bills Have Increased Without Explanation. If you’re running your air conditioner or heater, and notice that it costs significantly more than it did around the same time last year, it’s a definite sign that conditioned air may be escaping out of your home, or even into unoccupied spaces of your home like the attic or crawlspace.
- You’re Having Trouble Controlling Indoor Humidity. Do you have a humidifier and dehumidifier system in place? If so, and the system doesn’t seem to be actually working, then you might have a problem with the system itself—but it’s very likely that the problem is air leaks letting indoor humidity out or vice versa.
- You Notice Uneven Heating or Cooling. Depending on the season, you may notice uneven spots throughout your home when it comes to temperature. Perhaps your kitchen seems colder than it should be in the winter because air is leaking out the back kitchen door. Or maybe in the summer heat seems to be trapped in the living room. Whatever the case, an air leak may be to blame.
- You’ve Noticed Drafts Near Your Door or Window Frames. Have you ever been sitting under a window or near a door and felt a slight breeze that’s a different temperature from your HVAC system? You may be feeling a draft coming in from outside.
- Your Indoor Air Quality Is Suffering. Whether it’s allergens or mold spores, you don’t want contaminants in the air you breathe. If you notice dust buildup more than normal or family members getting sick, it could be the sign that germs and pollutants are making their way into your home through air leaks.
The only way to know what’s going on with your home for sure is to contact a professional who knows exactly what to look for. We look forward to getting home comfort to back to a level you deserve.